Sunday, December 7, 2008

So, why do you need a Nigerian Bucket Brigade? Because the power is out, the pump is off, and you need water for a baptism.........fast!
Enter experienced African Elders who are used to carrying huge buckets of water on their head. Elder Pasikala is filling Elder Quansah's bucket, which takes 3 of his. Elder Quansah used to haul water every morning for his grandmother in Ghana. He made the 45 minute round trip 2 to 4 times every morning before school in the dark. The font was full in about 2 hours.

This is the source of the problem......the lack of dependable power in Nigeria. The local power company, NEPA, which stands for Nigerian Electric Power Association, delivers power sporadically at best. Some people say the initials really stand for Never Expect Power Anytime. There was one time the whole country had power - it was the day Nigeria played for the gold medal in the Olympics. Company officials knew their homes would be burned if they didn't supply the power for this important game. Power to the People!!

This is just one of the interesting wiring conglomerations seen throughout Lagos. We think it's become an art form. Obviously there aren't enough live wires to be dangerous.

2 comments:

Laurel said...

i haven't visited your blog in awhile and it looks like interesting things are always happening. I remember that Amy once had to fill a baptismal font with buckets in Guatemala, but I don't think the people there had quite the expertise that your missionaries have. It's almost unbelievable that the people have so few of modern conveniences when the technology is available. I guess you just pray that the country can catch up.

Sister J. said...

Thanks for the update. I can't believe your computer is effected by all the power outages. Shirley and I love your blog. It is just an array of colors.